Screw all this 'Five A Day' rubbish; make it 'Ten A Day' and you can make this one of them!
Makes: 1 courgette lemon drizzle loaf
For the cake
- 250-275g grated courgette
- 125g butter, melted
- 150g caster sugar + 30g extra for drizzle
- 1 egg, beaten
- Few drops of Almond Extract
- Juice & rind of 1 lemon
- 175g plain flour
- 60g Fine Cornmeal (Polenta)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp mix bicarb of soda and baking powder
- Optional Elderflower Cordial in the drizzle
- Prep:10min - Cook:1hr
- Preheat the oven to 170 C/160 Fan. Line a loaf tin with greaseproof paper. For the cake:
- In a bowl, combine the courgette, melted butter, sugar, egg, almond, half of the lemon juice and all of the rind.. Sift in the flour, polenta, salt and add the bicarbonate of soda and baking powder. Mix well. Pour into the prepared loaf tin.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes until golden brown, and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave in the tin for 10 minutes to cool. For the drizzle:
- Whilst the cake is cooling, bring the juice of 1/2 a lemon, 25g caster sugar and, if you have it, a good glug of elderflower cordial to the boil and simmer until it forms a good syrup. Use a skewer to poke holes in the cake, then pour syrup over whilst cooling.