Inspired by a post Christmas cupboard clear out..
This recipe is a perfect re-hash of these bits into brilliant lunchbox bites, or a pre/post workout snack.
POP your POWER!!
Adapt the recipe to whatever you have hanging around - all quantities are approximate.
- 75g Good quality Peanut/Almond Butter or Tahini
- 75g Dried Fruit (raisins, sultanas, dates, prunes, figs etc) very finely chopped/food processed.
- 50g Nuts (Hazelnuts, Almonds, Brazils work best) toasted in hot oven for 5 mins and very finely chopped/food processed
- 1-2 tablespoons of Chia Seeds - lightly ground in pestle & mortar
- 1-2 tablespoons honey/agave (for vegan)
- 1-2 tablespoons Cacao
- Optional extras - I've tried adding candied peel, stem ginger, spirulina, sesame seeds, ground cinnamon/ginger... Experiment with what you have, taste as you go.
- Desicated Coconut &/or Cacao or other seeds/finely chopped nuts to roll in.
Start with the nut butter and add the processed nuts and fruit until you have a mixture that looks like you could work into balls.
Add the other ingredients as desired - the wet/dryness of the mixture should stay roughly the same with the addition of the honey/cacao & seeds. Taste a bit and add any 'extras' you might like to.
Shape into balls, no bigger than ping-pong size, then roll in cacao and coconut to seal.
Keep in the fridge for up to a week (in tupperware or sealed in tin foil).
Perfect fodder for a pre-breakfast run.